Pages

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

For My Girls: Relationships 101

The Porch is doing a series on “Boy Meets Girl” and the whole time I was wishing you were each there with me. I am going to summarize what I learn about Godly relationships each week, and I want you to promise me you will read it.

 Why am I writing this? Because I love each of you deeply. I passionately care about your life, the choices you make, and who you are. I love you so much that I want to be honest with you. I want you to read this because I care about what kind of relationship you end up with. I care about how you live your life. I care because I am your friend. I have seen your heart and I don’t want it broken. I want to protect you. I want God to flourish in your life. I want you to be a light shining in the darkness. I want you to know God’s word and what He wants for you. I want to be different, and I want you to come on this journey with me. I want us to grow together, and I want to share what knowledge I gain, even if we are 100 miles apart. I want you to ultimately end up in a Godly relationship that will build you up, not break you down. I want us to beat the statistics. So let’s talk…

Part One:*Looking for a great husband*
(I am summarizing everything from The Porch...so don't give me any credit)

There are 2 kinds of shopping. There is the kind where you look in your closet and see that your jeans are ripped. You decide you need to go to the mall to get a pair of jeans, just like the ones you ripped. You know exactly what you are looking for. You want those True Religion jeans, size 26 (bc yall are skinny), straight leg, dark washed, with that little tear on the knee. If they don’t have those jeans, then you leave with nothing, because they didn’t have what you needed.
   Then there is the kind of shopping we like to do. You have extra time on your hands, you have a little extra money in the bank, you are kind of bored and decide that the mall would be a good place to find something you didn’t know you needed. (Do you see where I am going?) You are now in the mall, not sure what you are shopping for, but looking for something that’ll satisfy you for that moment. You will most likely find something that will catch your attention and you decide you need it.
   If you are shopping for something(a guy) other than what you absolutely know you need, you are wasting your time and energy. You are setting yourself up for heartbreak. You don’t date just to date. You only date someone who meets your exact qualifications. Meets your list. Otherwise you are settling, and wasting your time.

How do we find the right person?

1 Timothy 4:12- “Don’t let anyone look down on you because you’re young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, and in purity.”

We are going to break this down into the 5 separate parts:
1.     Speech
2.     Conduct
3.     Love
4.     ,Faith
5.     Purity

We will focus on one each day.

Speech: How does he talk?
   This seems obvious to us until you really focus on what speech entails. We are good girls, we don’t like to date guys who have bad mouths, but does that mean he’s Godly or just a descent guy?
   What comes out of a persons mouth, including our own, is a direct reflection of what’s in their heart. The biggest problem girls have is gossip, but guys can gossip too. Don’t consider dating someone who talks negatively about other people.

“A gossip betrays a confidence; so avoid anyone who talks too much.” Proverbs 20:19

“Don’t let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.” Ephesians 4:29

   Make sure the person builds you, and others up. Look for positivity in what he says, look for a humble spirit, someone who is slow to get angry, and someone who doesn’t have a “macho” or self-serving attitude.
   Pay attention to the words that are coming out of their mouth. It is crucial to realize where his heart is. The ability to speak is a gift we should not take for granted. If he is wasting his words on foul language, inappropriate comments, or negativity…stay away. You are looking for someone different.


Coming Soon: Conduct, Love, Faith & Purity...

No comments:

Post a Comment