Pages

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Mission Possible.

My group has continuously been working on the OurBlook.com public relations campaign this week. One of my assignments was to write a mission statement for the Journalism Resource Center. This sounds easy, but don't be fooled. Trying to come up with a mission for someone else's company is difficult, and this statement represents the company and it's goals for the entirety of its existence. In order to draft the mission statement for OurBlook, I first did research about what a good mission statement should include. It needs to provide direction, a vision and a goal. 

Then I got hungry...and started craving my new favorite food...







So naturally I looked up Chick-Fil-A's mission statement and it said, "Be America's best quick service restaurant."
Genius. I think they have accomplished this, but that's just my opinion.



Here are some great tips I gathered before I wrote the mission statement:
1. Bring in many perspectives. 
    In order to do this, I talked to the company employees as well as my group members to     see what they thought should be included.
2. Allow enough time. 
    I am glad I did this. I started drafting ideas, made changes as I read it the following days and got input from my fellow members.
3. Be open to new ideas. 
    To be close minded is to be ignorant. My group members saw different perspectives than me and our collaboration is what will make this a successful campaign.

Here is what I came up with for OurBlook.com's Journalism Resource Center:
"The mission of OurBlook.com's Journalism Resource Center is to provide the journalism world with a dynamic online atmosphere that will empower students, professors and practitioners to acquire the tools and knowledge they need by engaging in conversation about subjects that will define our future."

1 comment: